At JBD, we take our responsibilities under current data protection regulations seriously. We recognize the importance of the personal data you have entrusted to us and are committed to properly managing, protecting and processing this data.
For the purposes of the Protection of Personal Information Act, No4 of 2013 (POPI) and other applicable data protection laws within South Africa, JBD is both a “data controller” and a “data processor” of personal information that you provide to us.
This policy applies to both our online and in-store environments for customers within South Africa.
What personal information do we collect?
The information we collect, and process may include but is not limited to the following:
- Your full name and title;
- Contact information such as your residential or mailing address, telephone or cell number and email address;
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests;
- Financial billing information that we require to process payment for our products;
- Information about your purchases through our online store including products and prices;
- Your interaction with JBD’s online communication platforms;
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and offers;
- Your legal identification number upon registering to avoid fraud. Your ID number is captured and then secured.
We do not collect “special categories” of personal data or data of a sensitive nature including race or ethnic origin, health information, philosophical or religious beliefs, sexual preferences or practices, or criminal convictions and records.
Any personal information that you choose to submit or post on our social media pages or other public forums may be read, collected, or used by others who visit these forums. JBD accepts no responsibility for the personal data that you choose to submit in these forums.
Why do we collect it?
We collect your data for several purposes, including but not limited to:
- To improve our understanding of you and your preferences to offer you the best online experience.
- To manage your queries and complaints for products and technical support matters through email, our chat function, telephone and through social media.
- To comply with legal obligations, court findings and decisions from authorities.
- For the purposes of loss prevention management, by ensuring that terms and conditions are being followed and to detect and prevent misuse of our services.
- We collect and securely store your identification when you register and order.
- Listing on our website/social media platforms, your name, email address and province as promotional aspects for your benefit
Like many other websites, our website may use ‘cookies’ from time to time.
Who can access your data?
Your details may be shared within JBD; however, we do not sell or swap your data to third parties. Any data that is forwarded to third parties is used only to provide you with our services. Any disclosure of your personal data must be for the primary purpose of providing products or services to you in accordance with the policy, or for another specified lawful purpose. In Addition, if one registers as an Agent with JBD, certain services may provide the possibility of JBD listing your name, email address and province/city on our website/social media platforms as a promotional benefit to you. If this is something you do not authorize please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
We may share information with any successor to all our part of our business.
Protecting your information
Any personal data collected by JBD will be processed fairly, lawfully, and in a transparent manner. “Processing” includes, but is not limited to, collection, storage, transfer, dissemination or erasure of personal information. JBD takes appropriate technical and organizational measures against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.
However, to the extent that the Internet is not completely secure, we cannot guarantee that any of your personal information stored or sent to us will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using internet to access our web sites, apps or social media.
Your personal information will be kept in an anonymous form for a period no longer than is reasonably required for JBD to achieve the purpose of the data.
Data collected which is defined under the “what information do we collect” section will be stored:
- For the duration of your commercial relationship with JBD, if You are a client or Agent i.e. you have made a purchase of our products or services.
- If you as the agent place an order that is sent directly to your client, your clients name, contact and delivery details will be collected.
What are your rights?
Right to access
You have the right to request information on the personal data that JBD holds about you. You are entitled to know what personal information we are processing, why we have processed it, and whether we have shared your personal information. You may exercise your right to request access and to obtain copies of any personal data we have collected from you, and request that your personal data be provided to you in a format that can be easily read.
You can contact us using the contact details in the contact section of this policy and we will provide you with your personal data via email.
Right to erasure
You have the right to erase any personal data processed by JBD at any time except for in the following situations:
- You have an on-going matter with our customer service team;
- You have an open order which has not yet been shipped;
- You are suspected of misusing, or have misused, our services within the last four years;
- You are suspected of a crime, and the personal data that JBD holds is to be used as evidence in connection with that crime.
Right to object
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data that is done based on JBD’s legitimate interests. JBD will not continue to process the personal data unless we can demonstrate a legitimate ground which overrides your interest and rights, or due to legal claims.
You also have the right to object to direct marketing. You can opt out from JBD’s direct marketing by following the instructions contained in each marketing email.
You have the right to not be discriminated against for exercising your consumer rights under data protection laws.
JBD may offer financial incentives such as discounts and gift cards to customers who sign up to our email newsletter.
In the event of a breach of security leading to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, personal data, JBD will assess the risk to your rights and freedoms and if appropriate report this breach to the relevant authorities.
To request access, deletion or restriction of your personal data please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org